Mold is a type of fungus.  It forms in microscopic spores that float in the air around us, indoors and out.  When they find a suitable spot, they land and begin to grow.  In order to prosper, they need moisture and warmth.  If you include darkness, they are even happier.  By the time you realize it has invaded, it is dispersing more spores into the air.  Because wood absorbs moisture quite well, it is a favorite spot for growth.

Home Remedies

If you find mold on wood surfaces, there are several home remedies to try.  If one doesn’t work, you can try another.  If you keep trying but are still unsuccessful, it is time to call a professional.

To begin with, you will need to assemble the proper protective gear.  If you start with an N95 or N100 mask, this will prevent the spores from entering your lungs.  To be completely safe, you will need to have a respirator mask.  Wear coveralls because you need to protect your skin.  You can also wear old clothes since some of the substances used to remove the mold can damage fabric if splashed.  Open windows for ventilation.  Don’t use a fan because that will only cause the spores to spread.


Begin by vacuuming with a sweeper that has a HEPA filter.  When done, empty the bag or bin outdoors.  If you do this inside the building, you will only release the spores again.  Put the debris in a solid plastic bag and directly into the trash.  If you have a bin rather than a disposable bag, clean the bin thoroughly before bringing it back inside.

If the mold is minor, you can simply expose it to sunlight.  The rays will remove the darkness and dry out the wood to give the spores an unhappy home life.

There are some good home remedies to attack the mold.

  • Distilled white vinegar is a weak form of acid, which will kill the spores even if they have penetrated the wood, which they probably have.
  • Dishwashing detergent is a surfactant which will make other cleaning agents stronger. So warm water and dishwashing soap will act as a fungicide.
  • Vodka is good for light mold. It has antimicrobial properties so it will disinfect as it removes. 
  • Bleach is a strong disinfectant that will definitely stop the mold. However, the fumes, even dilluted, can be toxic.  You also realize that bleach whitens and brightens, so the color of your wood may well change.


There are other substances that will also work like Borax that won’t be toxic but can certainly damage some types of wood and is recommended only for non-porous surfaces.  Tea tree oil is effective but relatively expensive.  Hydrogen peroxide is common in many cleaning products and may work.

If you have tried these methods and failed, or they are beyond your means to execute, you need to enlist the services of a professional.  Contact us at  We have specialists that will be happy to discuss your situation and give you a rough quote.  We are also happy to make an appointment to see the spread and to give a more detailed estimate.

Recommended Posts